Quality of Life
- Monthly e-newsletter connecting Tobin Hill residents and businesses to the public and each other while keeping readers apprised of important issues and exciting community events in Tobin Hill.
- Quarterly code compliance ‘sweeps’ to ensure the safety and maintenance of Tobin Hill buildings and other public areas as required by law and ordinance.
- Graffiti abatement
- Litter eradication
- Alley and vacant lot clean ups
- Community safety initiative, including SAPD’s Good Neighbor Program
- GED and college re-entry programs in partnership with San Antonio College
- Free health screenings and other services in partnership with Metropolitan Methodist Hospital
- New and repaired sidewalks
- New and enhanced street lighting
- Drainage issues solutions
Tobin Hill Pride
A campaign providing volunteers and neighbors concrete ways to improve and their community.
- American Planning Association, San Antonio Section, 2008 “Community of the Year.”
- Third best ranking in San Antonio as a “walkable” neighborhood by Walk Score in its most recent report.
Branding, Marketing and Communications
- Visual branding, marketing and public relations campaigns promoting Tobin Hill as an integrated and wonderful place to LIVE. WORK. PLAY.
- THCA Web site of all things Tobin Hill
- Providing a strong, proactive, non adversarial, Tobin Hill voice to city, county, state and federal officials for resolving community issues.
- Monthly monitoring of San Antonio’s the Zoning Commission, Historic Design & Review Committee, Board of Adjustments, and City Council. Representation before these entities as needed for Tobin Hill issues.
- Tobin Hill Community Association members hold the following political positions: District 1 Zoning Commissioner and member of the Midtown Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone, (TIRZ #31), Board of Directors.
- Neighborhood Commercial Revitalization Zone, with over $500,000 in THCA capacity funding and facade improvement matching grants up to $15,000 to individual property and business owners.
- Empowerment Zone
- Midtown Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone
- Fundraising: Contributions from corporate, nonprofit, government and individual donors are used for community solutions and to leverage membership dollars.
- Tobin Hill Historic District
- Saving and restoring blighted and/or vacant buildings.
Community Events, Programs and Projects
- Second Friday “Art on the Hill” Gallery Walk, sponsored by the Tobin Hill Art Alliance.
- THCA Volunteer Thank You Bash. Sponsored by Cappy Lawton and LaFonda on Main. (Members and supporters by invitation.)
- Tobin Hill Tour of Historic Places & Fantastic Spaces.
- Property Tax Workshop. Sponsored by Texas Representative Mike Villarreal
- National Night Out. Food and drink, fire truck and police cruiser for kids, visits from city VIPs and lots of neighbor camaraderie.
- Informal neighborhood socials hosted by residents in their homes.
- Annual Membership Meeting and periodic public meetings
- More! Subscribe to THCA monthly e-newsletter
Leadership and Commitment to Community
- THCA boasts an astounding 89% membership involvement in its programs, initiatives and events.
- THCA’s seven-member volunteer Board of Directors has over 135 years of non profit, private and public business management and executive experience and includes a lawyer and 3 MBAs.
- Want a list of 2009 THCA major accomplishments? View our 2009 Annual Report